Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The First Four Weeks of Parenthood

1.  WD-40 is a MUST HAVE!
Remember this.....all the doors in your house squeak.  If you think otherwise, then there are 2 reasons to explain this. One...you don't realize they all squeak because you have been in your house a long time or don't pay attention to it.  Or....Two...you have had a child and within in the first few weeks have WD-40'd every single hinge in your household.  Closet doors, bedroom doors, cabinets, toilet lids, etc.

Prior to Henry, I knew some of our doors squeaked.  At the time, it really did not bother me and did not pay much attention to them.  That definitely changes when you are trying to put your baby human being down to sleep.....only to wake him up when you close his room door as you are slipping out.  Then the door basically yells "HEY MAN, YOU REALLY DID NOT WANT TO SLEEP NOW.  WHY DON'T YOU STAY AWAKE A BIT LONGER?  IT'S ONLY 3:45AM!"  Now, its time to start the winding down process again.  Our squeaky doors has only woken up Henry once or twice (that I know of).  But closing all doors, if feels as if you need to hold your breathe and say a prayer.  Needless to say, I have greased down every single hinge that I could get my hands on.

2.  I go through diapers fast!  (wait, what?!?)
You heard right.  I go through diapers fast.  There is definitely an art form to changing diapers on a baby. The first diaper I changed was a tag team effort on the first night of Henry's life.  He peed on my arm.  Do people that have not had babies know newborns poop TAR for the first few days?!?!  What is that all about?  Anyway, I'm off subject.

Back to going through diapers fast.  For the first few days, I would literally use 3 diapers to change one of Henry's.  How is that possible?  Here you go.  Henry needs his diaper changed.  So, I get ready to change it by having the new diaper. Slide the new diaper under the soiled one he has on.  Then, as I am pulling the soiled one off, Henry decides to go NUMBER 1.  Think fast, Martin! My hand shoots out and blocks the stream from doing any major "damage".  However, there was collateral damage.  The new diaper is soaked before it is even put to use.  Toss it.  Next diaper.  Assuming that Henry's bladder was now empty was my biggest mistake.  Basically, the same thing happened to the third diaper as the second diaper.  Except this time, Henry also let loose a stream that could easily be 2 feet high.  The stream went up and to the right.  It drenched Henry's shirt along with 2 square feet of real estate on our "neutral" colored wall.  The wall is not so "neutral" colored anymore.

April is much better at this area.  Quick.  Easy.  One diaper per change.  She is a keeper.

Just an FYI....I wrote most of this between May 8th and 10th.  However, this morning (11th) I put the final touches on this entry.  Also, this morning Henry put his "final touches" on the wall...again.  My bad, April.....

 It occurred to me that I could probably write an entry entitled "Urination", but I do not want to alienate my 4 followers....

2 comments:

April said...

I thought I heard "NO-OOOO" this morning while I was trying to catch some sleep!! I figured that Henry was spraying the wall again!

Misty Straley said...

Boys are terrbile during diaper changes...my new little guy has quite the water hose on him. Yesterday he managed to pee in his face...in the nose, mouth, and I think it made it in his ears as well! You will continue to have "urination" stories for many months to come. My two year old is potty trained, but when going in the bathroom, he likes to try out using different things- such as the trash can and bathtub! You really have to stay on top of cleaning! :) BOYS!! Fun stuff!