Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Suburbs

The Roys are no longer city-folk.  Goodbye Fifth Ward Houston......Hello Fall Creek (Humble).  As of March 28th, we were exiled to the suburbs.  Ultimately, the reason for the move was for the kiddos.  As Henry quickly approaches school age, the more I wanted him to have a neighborhood where he could walk down the street to a friend's house.  A backyard.  Ride a bike.  Go swimming.  Things that downtown just could not provide.  Heck, a year ago, we threw the idea around of moving back to my old neighborhood of Rosewood Hill.  However, my job is tied to downtown and that commute would of killed me. I would of never have seen my kids, either.

So, we chose Fall Creek.  It is only 16 miles from downtown and is probably the shortest commute in for any of the Houston suburbs.  We are also walking distance to the Shell Houston Open at Redstone Country Club, which is pretty cool.  It would be even cooler if I liked golf..  Anyway, to the learning!

1. "It is quiet as #### out here!!"
Is this what people hear out in the suburbs?  Nothing!?!?  The first night we stayed in our house, April and I were laying in bed talking about plans for the house and what not.  At one point, we ("she") both stopped talking.  It was dead silent.  And then I said the above sentence to April. It was uncanny just how void of noise the neighborhood was.  Also, how accustomed we had become to the ambient sounds of living in a major city.

I mean, seriously, give me some sirens.  Like loud fire truck sirens.  Also, gimme some 24 hours a day road noise from I-10.  Love those big rigs down shifting like it's going out of style.  I also love fireworks in the middle of the night.  Actually, it was just the firework noises.  No actual visual confirmation of fireworks.  Usually, it is followed by police sirens a few minutes later.  Hmmmm.....

Here is our new home...

No comments: