Monday, August 9, 2010

Road Trips

1. It will only get more difficult.
Our first family road trip is in the books. I find it odd…but I can use the word “family” now. April and I have been together for over 5 years and have taken many road trips. Mostly back to see her parents. To be honest, I never thought of just April and I as a “family”. Does a “family” have to involve children to be technically classified as a “family”?

We had quite the system on our way up to the Dakotas.  I drove and April sat in the back to feed and keep Henry happy.  It was quite surprising how well Henry just chilled in his car seat.  The first day we spent roughly 12 hours in our vehicle.  The following day was about 8 hours.

Gotta learn sometime!
This trip may just be the last one where we aren't fighting Henry.  I just assume a 1yr old or older is not going to like sitting in a car seat for 4+ hours in a row.  But we shall see.  There will be many more road trips in the future.
2. There are two seasons in Iowa ... or ... Screw you, IOWA!
The two seasons Iowa has are WINTER and ROAD CONSTRUCTION. I didn’t make this up. My wife told me this. It’s funny because it’s true. What trips me out is how they go about road construction. No lie. One entire side of the highway is ripped up, down to the dirt, and is replaced. It also happens at 10 mile stretches. That means both directions of traffic are using one side of the highway. Yep, one lane traveling. No passing for 10+ miles.  Just follow the car (that is always driving 15 mph slower than you) in front of you. To me it seems pretty ridiculous. I have never seen that in Texas.   That is one thing that gets to me on road trips.  Construction.  Bad drivers don't really get to me.  Because they are everywhere.  Not just in the city.  They exist everywhere.  Good thing we don’t have to drive that far through Iowa.

No comments: